Best Photoshop Tools to Remove your Real Estate Photo Background
While Photoshop remains one of the go-to software for realty editor, it is one that has much more to offer than what most people know on the surface. There are multiple ways to perform one technique and doing any of them will get the same result, they simply differ in ways that apply to different images. For instance, one method may be more applicable to simpler photos and others may be of better help to more complex images with busier elements.
Table of Contents
One of the most intriguing and commonly used technique is removing real estate image backgrounds. The plethora of available Photoshop tools to execute this would surprise you in ways that would make you want to explore all of them. As a photographer there is no limit in the skills you can learn. Treating each opportunity as a learning experience especially for Photoshop tools is a good way to keep a mindset of continuous development.
What is background removal?
Background removal may sound self-explanatory when it is applied to something as important as real estate photo editing, but it really is a backbone of success in most projects, therefore meriting attention and detail. It is retaining the objects of interest and subject of the photo while discarding the background that will not bring value to the entire photo. Some may argue that removing the background photo is essential as photographers will not always have an ideal background during the photo shoot hence a requirement to change it to something that is more pleasing to the eye. One such example is changing the weather conditions. Sky replacement is a form of background removal but plays on a portion of the image only. Real estate image background removal does these changes to ensure that the photos communicate vibrance and warmth above all in when inciting feelings from viewers.
What are the Photoshop tools for this?
First tool that intuitively comes into mind is the eraser tool. While this is the right tool for the job it may take more than just erasing when more than one photo is involved. The selection of Photoshop tools may help you be more efficient and be more adept to the ins and outs of removing real estate image backgrounds.
- The background eraser tool – If there is a straight forward Photoshop tool, this one takes the cake. The background eraser tool can be adjusted based on size, hardness, and spacing parameters. Once these have been set, begin clicking while dragging your mouse on the background that you wish to disappear. It may take a while long but for images with subjects that are simpler, this may suffice to get the job done.
- The Lasso tools – Exploring the capabilities of the lasso tools, there are 3 to choose from: standard, magnetic, and polygonal. The standard lasso tool is the flexible option that allows you to outline any object based on your actual movements. They can be useful especially for irregularly shaped subjects and objects that you wish to enclose in a selection space. The magnetic lasso tool is a variation of the standard tool also meant for irregularly shaped objects in the image. This Photoshop tool is deemed to be very convenient as it can detect any deviations from the assessed subject. For instance, drawing the selection path eventually takes you out of the intended path, the magnetic lasso tool, while being used, will automatically bring your anchor point close to the object you are selecting, as if automatically magnetizing itself to it. Finally, the polygonal lasso tool enables the creation of straight edged selections. Based on its name, you can create multisided selections with each having a straight line.
- Remove background plugin – While this is not exactly one of the Photoshop tools we normally find, this plugin can be just as efficient in removing real estate image backgrounds. With the remove.bg plugin, all it takes is one click of a button to remove background images. The downside to this is that it requires credits to use. Credits are purchased through adobe and gives limited uses on a per photo basis. Think of it as paying for the convenience. Another disadvantage is its difficulty to smoothly carve through the finer details. Imagine a patch of grass with a lot of irregularly shaped blades that seem to poke out everywhere. This plugin may require a bit more work after it has been executed to trim out the details and make the entire work look flawless.
- Quick Selection tool – This Photoshop tool lives up to its name of being quick with its easy-to-use click-and-drag feature. To use, simply look for the oval dotted icon that comes with a paintbrush to its right. It will be the second option from the choices. From here, just drag the mouse cursor within the object that needs to be selected. It will take a few clicks so don’t worry and eventually you can select the image in a precise manner. Selecting the layer mask option and going to the reveal selection will isolate the subject or object of your choice, leaving the background to be transparent.
What Happens Next?
While these tools aid in real estate image background removals, they simply do not end there. There needs to be a process of polishing after which will make things look seamless. The merging of subjects or objects with another photo should seem realistic and show coherence. As far as these tools go, they provide a marvellous job of getting rid of unwanted backgrounds, but always take note of the limitations they bring so you can always touch up and make the images look amazing.
Real estate image background removal is indeed one task that can be done with several tools. The ways and means that are available can all lead to the same result where there needs to be additional steps and interventions to ensure an immaculate view is presented. With the rampant need of this technique to be performed, photographers who learn the different ways and grow to embrace them can gain a competitive advantage as each tool can be adapted to different situations depending on the need for more efficient working styles.
Relevant Quick Links:
- Real Estate Photo Editing
- Real Estate Image Editing
- Knowledge Base
- Remove Image Background using GIMP in Real Estate Photography
- How to Make Image Backgrounds Transparent in Real Estate Photo Editing?