Real Estate Image Background Retouching Creates Better Presentations
In the world of photography, there are contrasts that exists in photos. These contrasts provide a point of emphasis for objects that you want to stand out. In other disciplines, these are called figures and grounds. Figures being the objects of focus, and the ground being the context where the object is emphasized. To photographers, these are commonly referred to as foregrounds and backgrounds. The foregrounds are simply the objects closest to viewer making it the object of interest while the background is where the object rests within the overall photo. For real estate photography, the background is just as important the as foreground because the buyer will definitely be interested in looking at what the property has to offer and at the same time would love to live in an area that is worth the view. Real estate background retouching plays a role that is just as important as the process of photography and editing per sec. It sets the mood for the entire photo when it is put up in the listings. More so, as society now shifts to an online platform for real estate property hunting, the pressure to produce top quality photos is at an all-time high.
Table of Contents
What are Considered Backgrounds in Real Estate Photography?
Backgrounds in real estate photography in exteriors include the sky, clouds, lawns, fences, streets, and anything that does not constitute a movable object. From an interior standpoint, these are the walls and the windows which if edited correctly, contribute to the charm of the room. Now, background editing in real estate photos help sets the tone for the image considering the right photography techniques are used. Picture a listing whose room has well-focused tables and chairs but sit inside a dimly lit room. The overall mood is simply killed off by the background. The balance must be maintained and considered during photography and editing, and ultimately during real estate image retouching.
How Do you Create Presentation-worthy Backgrounds?
There are traits a photographer must possess in order to stay well afloat in this discipline. The manifestation of these qualities come out in photos deemed worthy of the public eye. Real estate companies are keen to spot photos that make it to their websites or brochures, hence, background editing in real estate photos require the following from photographers:
- An imaginative mind which helps visualize what the perfect photos are and considers what image elements must look like including the most appealing background.
- A keen attention to detail to spot the trivial few that impact the critical few.
- A passion for continuous improvement to never settle and find the next best technique to bring out the best in each photo.
The traits are just the starting point of producing presentation-worthy photos. Attitude matters just as technical prowess does and producing the real estate image in itself is an art that needs attention to come out worthy for listings. But never underestimate the power that backgrounds bring. Here are some tips that you can look into that takes you through the photography, realty editor, and retouching to make background editing in real estate photos a breeze.
- Adjust the aperture depending on availability of light – Low apertures will be desirable to get more light in the photo. The impact this will have on real estate image retouching is providing a well-lit photo that does not only focus on the property or fixtures inside. It allows the light to come in and illuminate the entire photo.
- Select the time of day to aid your editing – Most photographers will be after three parts of the day, sunrise, midday, or sunset. The reason is that sunrise and sunset immediately provide a foundation for most real estate background editing. The contrasts in light provided by the sun coupled with a white balance will allow you to be as close to the real thing when taking photos. Midday on the other hand, straightforwardly provides the most lighting. The photo can he shot clearer with the sun up, revealing the details beautifully. Real estate background retouching would want to represent the property and surrounding conditions as accurate as possible to the potential buyers. Any sign that the picture treads on unrealistic grounds will cause some people to be turned off.
- Edit your photo brightness using a reliable software – A lot of available software will aid the process of real estate background retouching. Such software like Photoshop or Lightroom provides options to toggle the overall brightness of the photo. Some even all you to change the background sky from a gloomy rainy day to a bright and sunny afternoon. Some known tools you can use are the dodge tool, the clone stamp tool, and magnetic lasso tool. All of which help transform undesirable backgrounds into vibrant and presentation-worthy ones.
- Declutter the background during editing – At the stage of real estate image retouching, it is imperative to check on objects in the image that are distractive. Interiors will most likely have a more controllable environment as furniture can be moved around or removed if unnecessary. There will be cases though, that retouching will be required to remove background(wall or carpet) stains that taint the overall presentability of the photo. Exteriors on the other hand, will have more uncontrollable objects. Birds perched on the roof, or a squirrel running across the lawn are just some of the things you must watch out for.
The reality behind background editing in real estate photos is they are just as critical as editing the color and brightness of the property being sold. Ignoring this fact can instantly swing the mood of the photo, drawing less attention to it. The battleground has now zoomed in to photography as people have been more likely to take an online medium to looking for their new home. Real estate background retouching is a powerful skill and process that ensures more than just survivability, it creates a demand. The competition has just gotten tighter, and the only way to ride the trend is to ensure that the real estate image takes on quality both in the foreground and in the background.
Relevant Quick Links:
- How Real Estate Image Enhancement Can Save Thousands on Professional Property Photography Fees
- Is Blue Sky Editing Effective in Real Estate Images
- How Editing the Brightness Can Change Your Real Estate Images
- Real Estate Photo Editing
- Knowledge Base